I recently read this article in Today’s Dietitian magazine. We all know that Hypertension is a HUGE problem in America, and USANA’s Executive Director of Research and Development, Dr. John Cuomo, was a contributor. So what are some ways to naturally combat hypertension? Read my summary below.
High Cost of Hypertension
- Center for Disease Control estimates that 1 in 3 Americans over the age of 20 has hypertension
- Uncontrolled hypertension puts you at a higher risk for heart disease and stroke
- Hypertension is responsible for over half of all cardiovascular disease
- Hypertension is responsible for over 400,000 deaths each year in the US
The Case for Supplementation
- Exercise, Losing Weight and Following the DASH diet are important factors in combating hypertension and should not be abandoned.
- Nutritional supplements are an important piece of the puzzle and compensate for imperfections in the American diet
- Try supplements and life style changes before turning to pharmaceutical drugs. If you’re already on blood pressure medication, add supplements and lifestyle changes and see if you can’t reduce your medications or stop them completely.
What Foods/Supplements Help Lower Blood Pressure?
- CALCIUM: almonds, herring, sardines, milk or calcium fortified soy/almond milk, yogurt, greens
- POTASSIUM: swiss chard, yellowfin tuna, acorn squash, sweet potatoes, soy, spinach, bananas, yogurt, oranges, apricots, beans, cantaoloupe
- MAGNESIUM: brown rice, pumpkin seeds, sesame seed, flaxseeds, Brazil nuts, cashews, swiss chard, high fiber cereals, lentils, whole grain bread, dark chocolate
- SOY PROTEIN: Edamame, soy milk, tofu, unsalted soy nuts
- OMEGA 3’s: Salmon, tuna, halibut, mackerel, walnuts, soybeans, flaxseeds, chia seeds
WHY TAKE USANA?
- USANA was started by Myron Wentz, a renowned microbiologist and immunologist with a passion for health and disease prevention.
- USANA’s Research and Development Team has researched the optimal levels of the nutrients your body needs. Their products are scientifically based.
- USANA has the highest rated multivitamin and received the 5 star and Gold Standard Rating by NutriSearch’s Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements
- Their products are produced in an FDA registered facility
- They are among the 2% of supplement companies that voluntarily follow GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) for Pharmaceuticals meaning they treat their supplements with the same care that goes into manufacturing pharmaceutical grade products
- Their products have a potency guarantee meaning what they say is in them, actually is.
- They are the only supplement company to offer a Million Dollar Athletic Guarantee Program, therefore making them the obvious choice of many athletes, including numerous Olympians. To see some of these sponsored athletes click here.
Contact me about doing a Health Assessment and seeing what Nutritional Supplements would be best for your body. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Make changes today to reverse Hypertension, or set yourself up to avoid the hundreds of degenerative diseases that America is battling daily. Healthcare costs are rising. People are getting sicker. It’s time to be proactive and look for natural ways to take charge of your health. Live your best life. You only have ONE BODY. Don’t Compromise.