Tips to Help You Grocery Shop
- Plan ahead – set aside some time to write out your menu for the week.
- Pick out meals that you can make in larger quantities and freeze them for the nights you’re in a pinch
- Make your grocery list utilizing the low glycemic food lists, checking your stand-by recipes for any areas that you’ll need to make substitutions (low glycemic options swapped in for high glycemic ingredients)
- Until you know all the high glycemic foods and ingredients to avoid, bring a “cheat sheet” of these with you to the store.
- In general, spend most of your time around the perimeter of the store. This is where you’ll find meat/fish, fresh produce, cheese, fresh salads, frozen fruits and veggies.
- Avoid boxed, processed foods loaded with preservatives
- If possible go to a natural food market to find healthier boxed and convenient options
- When looking at cereals, crackers, grains, baked goods, make sure to read the labels carefully.